Thursday, June 08, 2006

overconfidence or the lack of it?

i've been rather busy with my work.. but the issue had been in my mind all week and time and again i was reminded abt it.. hence a lagged entry on the recent talk abt our school advert and a little more..

it's not like me to be politically incorrect.. and openly so.. but somehow i felt that i had to write abt it.. no criticisms from me for there are already too many.. no sacarsm from me coz they are in no way constructive.. but i have to admit my disappointment..

is it the lack of confidence/modesty of singaporeans? or is it the overconfidence on the school's side? there is often a fine line.. but there is a always a difference between being good and being better.. our school is good.. but when speak in relative terms with the world's finest, the talk abt being better becomes mockery..

i pride myself to be in the school, and try to help the school when it is within my capabilities.. i try to understand the differences looking from the perspective of an outsider.. and proposing opportunities for the students and the school during my work.. hoping to bring back some feedback as well as value addedness at the end of my internship.. (of course my boss has given me a lot of space to do wad i want)it saddens when i have to admit our weaknesses, to see how our competitors win in areas of dynamism, efficiency and proactiveness.. but there is hope when we realise wad we are lacking in and improve on them..

however, if we forsake what i believe are our strengths which i personally stand by, the depth in thinking, the humility in learning, and the modesty in showing.. then my faith in our reputation will be shakened.. i do not believe we should and can compete in the same approach as our competitors, because we are clearly lacking the leadership required for movement in that direction.. instead we should leverage on our unique strengths in which our competitors can never achieve.. and at the same time look into our weaknesses to improve on them.. for a start, we should build more friendly relationships with the corporate world proactively..

perhaps i sounded pessimistic.. but these are my first thots upon reading the news and recalling the obvious differences in my experiences working with the school and our competitors for the past one and a half weeks.. call me conservative.. but i cannot bring myself to express support..

nonetheless i cannot agree more with bjorn that this could be positive learning material.. but perhaps the most difficult part is admitting our mistake.. http://bjornlee.wordpress.com/2006/06/04/nus-business-school-commercials-visibility-vs-message/