Friday, June 02, 2006

a hectic week...

an apt description of the past 5 days.. din even have time to blog.. so here's a recount coz finally i have the weekend to break and recharge..

~internship~
***work***
i started interning since monday afternoon.. it's gonna be a 6 week long thingie.. and there really seems to be lots of plans going on for june.. my job for the start of the week was to research into this topic of family governance which there will be a forum held in collaboration with smu.. i think most people won't noe abt the topic coz it's a new idea coming up.. was supposed to write my boss a report on it by the end of the week.. but somehow i feel super inefficient to spend 5 days researching and writing a 2 page report on it.. haha.. so i sent to him yest.. and told him to find me more stuff to do.. hahaha.. so i think there's another topic now on MICE.. up and coming industry in singapore.. so a collaboration would be interesting.. =)

other than that actually i'm really given a lot of space to do wad i like.. i mean there's events planning in the company too.. which i noe plenty of us are dying to do.. haha.. i did sit in one of the meetings discussing the upcoming launch event for ybf, then i started to realise the difficulty within.. somehow i din really like the logistics involved.. hmm.. something to look forward to would be the meeting to discuss things with smu, nus and stb, together with some mention of dealing with the press.. media industry leh.. exciting! haha.. =)

***welfare***
ok.. i think i've got super good welfare for this internship.. maybe coz i got to noe my boss first before i went for this internship.. instead of it being the other way around.. and i'm certain those who have talked to me abt my work or during my work recently will totally agree with me.. can come late for work (as in he told me specifically that if i can't make it at 8.45 can come in at 9 plus..), always having tea breaks with him in between work time, which can last up to an hr and a half, no restricted time for lunch break.. coz sometimes we meet pple to have lunch outside, allowing me to leave the office as and when i like.. if i feel bored.. i mean he actually said can go shop around the area for a while juz to walk around.. haha.. and he shoos me off work even before 5.30pm.. sends me near home if it's on the way..

i esp like the humane and personal boss-subordinate relationship.. don't get me wrong.. i don't mean anything else other than the absence of a hierarchy or status difference.. he asked me to treat him like my professor.. but now i think we treat each other as frens.. and i always learn better when the relationship is not tense.. because i dare to ask questions abt things i don't understand in work or anything else.. and i am impressed with the way he can admit that he learns things from me in front of other people.. i think he understands the importance of a more personal learning environment from his own experience ba.. and i'm glad he's willing to help young people.. like me and i believe many more to come in the future..

i think many of u might think i got this coz the guy has some ulterior motive.. hmm i can't deny that he likes me as a fren.. (like being juz the opposite of dislike) and honestly thinking back, i was courageous enough to agree to meeting him or working for him in the first place.. but i thot that missing out this opportunity coz i was afraid that this guy is up to no good was a waste.. i was on guard though.. seriously.. i did think of wad to do if he made any advances.. i would prob give him a tight slap and run.. hmm i actually dunno whether i'm capable of that.. haha.. but i don't think it is necessary now.. but i'm still on guard actually..

***rivalry***
the inevitable.. and prob the highlight of the week.. my boss has ties with both smu and nus biz schools.. i got to noe him thru the bschool alumni function.. but i came to realise his frenlier ties with smu and the collaboration which he would be doing on family governance.. i started getting curious why smu and not nus.. it's natural for me to ask right.. haha.. and i came to understand why.. it is interesting to see the difference from the perspective of an employer and a person within the corporate world.. and i don't blame them.. but since i'm there and the opportunity is lying in front of nus biz school.. i decided that why not propose to the school to take it up? i mean it's really good and free PR.. seriously.. it's free advertisement!

after much discussion with my boss abt it.. and getting past all his ideas on making us jealous and putting me in a fix by having me helping smu do this forum successfully and all.. i don't really noe whether he was joking abt that actually.. but he did ask me to try contacting our vice-deans to ask them abt a possible collaboration.. which of course i did immediately.. after which it was moved to the corporate development side as always.. but still it's a start.. he still wouldn't let me do the nus one.. coz he juz wanna make me do the smu one.. sigh.. but nonetheless an opportunity for me to show that nus students are no different from smu ones.. ok maybe i'm a little stressed out abt that though.. meeting smu prof next week to talk abt the forum..

the rivalry remains.. perhaps within me.. but frenly rivalry as always.. maybe i took this up also to prove a point abt nus biz students to him.. and he admitted that i did make him eat his words with the report.. coz it's almost like an academic paper.. haha.. din think it was very much appropriate but he was impressed la.. and i'll be telling him that this is the normal quality of work that nus gives.. haha.. after which i will still be all out to impress.. =)

i have been talking abt the career services which both schools provide.. and i saw a 400 page compliation of resumes of graduates from smu given to my boss.. honestly i was impressed by their proactive approach to help their students get a career and internships.. and as my senior mentioned.. they got it right.. wad is most impt for us all is CAREER! should i or should i not say.... hmm..

***exposure***
this is the whole purpose of this intership.. i think he worries everytime he see me sitting in front of my computer terminal.. haha.. on the 3rd day he came up to me and said 'boring huh..' haha.. and was trying to reassure me that there would be more out of office meetings after this week.. sure enough today was whole day out of office meetings.. went for 3 of them.. and he loves throwing some parts of the talking to me after he's tired of talking.. frankly i got a shock when he did it the first time today.. suddenly he juz said that 'oh i'll hand over the explanation of that to my assistant..' i was totally blanked out inside.. luckily i din show too much of it.. after explaning i went to the washroom immediately.. when i came back he asked me if i was alright.. haha.. yar la i was.. but not before that.. but when he did it the second time i was prepared.. so wasn't so bad..

it's tiring.. talking to pple too much and too often.. but i guess when u have government backing.. somehow pple respect u and listen to wad u have to say.. of course there are also lots of corporate governance issues to beware of during discussions of any projects.. an interesting experience on that.. =)