Wednesday, June 14, 2006

i remember the fifth of november

din really have time to pay a tribute to one of my favourite films - V for vendetta! i was very much affected for days by the film after i watched it.. thinking abt the issues brought up.. the age old issues of terrorism vs freedom fighters, the paradox of the methods used by govt and terrorist.. in the film perhaps V was the hero in our eyes.. i'd love to believe he was.. but his methods.. how different were they from the govt's attempt to create fear in pple? and one part i never could understand is how he was ever able to treat the one he loved in the way he did.. is it love to rid her of her fears? or to let her understand that an idea is more impt than life itself? and thinking abt wad other issues i never managed to pick up from the film..

some quotes i loved:

Evey: Remember, remember, the fifth of November, gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.

We are told to remember the idea, not the man. Because a man can fail. He can becaught, he can be killed and forgotten. But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world. I've witnessed firsthand the power of ideas. I've seen people kill in the name of them; and die defending them. But you cannot touch an idea, cannot hold it or kiss it. An idea does not bleed, it cannot feel pain, and it does not love. And it is not an idea that I miss, it is a man.

V: Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.
Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V

Evey: Who are you?
V: Who? Who is but the form following the function of what, and what I am is a man in a mask.
Evey: Well I can see that.
V: Of course you can. I'm not questioning your powers of observation, I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

V: I, like God, do not play with dice and do not believe in coincidence.

V: People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

V: But again, if truth be told... if you are looking for the guilty, you need only look in the mirror.

V: A building is a symbol, as is the act of destroying it. Symbols are given power by people. A symbol, in and of itself is powerless, but with enough people behind it, blowing up a building can change the world.

V: Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea.. and ideas are bulletproof.

Evey: I don't want you to die.
V: That's the most beautiful thing you could have ever given me.

Finch: Who was he?
Evey: He was Edmond Dantés... and he was my father. And my mother... my brother... my friend. He was you... and me. He was all of us.