Saturday, September 01, 2007

walking the streets of NYC

while I reside for the next half a year in a place almost half the way around the globe from Singapore, it becomes so impt to keep in contact.. to keep updating.. to keep blogging.. maybe i've been guilty because this is the 5th day i'm here in NYC.. and only now have I started to overcome inertia to let people around me know about my life over here..

don't blame me.. though I perhaps blame myself that little bit.. settling in is no easy task.. esp for someone who brought over 51kg worth of luggage.. haha moving from the airport to the hostel was something I could not have accomplished without the help of my great fren traveling with me.. luckily he had much less luggage than me.. airport was a rather traumatic expereince when after paying 3 bucks for a trolley, you realise that the elevator is spoilt and when 2 people start taking your luggage for you, you realise that they start walking separate directions! it doesn't help when u're not sure whether the front desk of your residence can check you in at 9pm on a Sunday, and surely it's tiring when you realise that you have lost your temp residence card is the short span of 2 hours..

but reaching the hostel was a great relief, because after 19 hrs in the air, you somehow feel happy that you have landed safely and you've got a bed to sleep in and a bathroom to shower in.. even though sleeping without a blanket is still extremely cold for me.. haha so settling in and unpacking successfully was a great feeling for me.. food here is quite expensive.. so we often go for budget meals in china town which is my favourite place haha.. gotta start our cooking schedule soon of course!

my memory of NYC was not fantastic as i never quite saw the wonders of the city within the short 2 days i was here the last time.. but time square is fantastic! I love time square and I finally understand why the craze over this particular part of the city.. it's where all the colours and billboards and musicals and shops and wonders are.. almost everything you want you can find there.. fifth avenue is definitely a place to vist if u're rich and you wanna spend money haha.. but also a place for poor students like me to go wow around.. because the boutiques are all so unique in their own way, occupying at least 3 stories of a particular building..

of course we visited wall street, financial district.. we spent ages looking for the bull which we realised isn't of many people's interest in the place itself.. but finally seeing the bull is a happy thing.. something accomplished for us.. we also visited ground zero which was a saddening experience for me..

i've been walking soooo much that I ended up limping towards the nights.. because sometimes we try to see as many things as we can on foot.. and of course coz subways are not cheap either.. other than making sure that we don't end up going the wrong direction, going the wrong direction mentions paying again.. so we always try to make sense of our confusing subway lines before we embark on our journey..

let the pictures say the unsaid words..

Stern School of Business! It's a fabulous building and NYU actually stretches across many streets.. it's everywhere! haha with purple flags.. oh and i'm soooo amazed with the NYU library.. it's so grand it's beautiful..



the famed bull at wall street.. fortunately we found it after our relentless efforts..


my favourite picture of time square.. what I call a hua hua shi jie..


walls of M&M chocolates!!! and i really mean WALLS... haha


pooh and tigger with me!! haha don't be mistaken.. i wasn't in orlando or disneyland.. i was on fifth avenue.. in a disney shop of course.. an amazing place i doubt children will wanna go out of as soon as they come in..