Thursday, October 25, 2007

shoplifting

i witnessed a crime committed in New York City -- shoplifting.. it was one faithful day that i went along to time square, dressed up and ready to watch the muscial "Rent".. only to find out that the careless me forgot to collect my tickets from school.. hence, barred entry for that day with all my other friends in the theatre already, i went shopping along Time Square..

walking along the crowded streets with colourful billboards, i realised i have not shopped around the area before.. happily feeling the atmosphere full of life, i walked into a cosmetic shop nearby.. it's been a while since i've invested in make up and all, so i was truly taking my time playing around with everything there was on the shelf.. after spending some time walking around, i went back to the shelf nearest to the entrance and was carefully taking my pick..

a man walked beside me and started taking various bottles of cosmetics quickly off the shelf.. i turned to look at him, half surprised abt his interests in certain products and half impressed with his knowledge of the products such that he could decide to buy them without looking carefully at price and material he chose.. in that spilt second he walked out of the shop through the revolving door, and started running as soon as he exited..

a shoplifter! it took me so much by surprise that i stood rooted to the ground, not believing what i just witnessed.. and when i was able to start thinking again i realised the flaw in the layout of the store.. no security to prevent such things from happening.. and somehow nothing struck me to approach someone to tell them about the whole incident.. no one seemed to have witnessed it.. the shocking incident for me..