Saturday, March 04, 2006

back to the old school

I meant to write this entry yesterday.. but my com juz died on me while i was typing halfway.. oh well it's a belated entry about a past event anyway..

I went back to RJC 3 days ago.. yes it was the day of the release of the 'A' Level results.. it really reminded me about how time passes so quickly.. i can still vividly remember that time we were still working at iras and we went back to collect our results.. how panicky and excited we all were.. and then i realised it was already 1 year ago..

I was there to show my presence and give out flyers to promote the school.. but frankly my main purpose was to go back to visit my teachers I haven't met for a long period of time, perhaps too long.. I was really glad i managed to fulfill both objectives..

When i first stepped into the school it didn't really feel very familiar.. considering that we've never studied there before it was natural.. but i was excited.. maybe it felt a little like 'returning with honour' type of feeling.. after asking for directions to the hall, we managed to finally find our 'booth' where we were supposed to be stationed at giving out the flyers.. Overhearing conversations on the way was highly interesting.. and the sense of familiarity kicked in immediately.. stuff like i've got 4As and 2Ds etc. were not uncommon.. as usual, best results for the 25th year running.. (and still counting) with 56% 4As and 74% 3As and above.. for one not getting at least 4As has become a minority instead.. i felt totally at home then, totally knowing how it feels in that environment so competitive and intellectual yet enjoyable, totally glad to know that rj has stayed as it always had..

We met up with some high profile bizaders who were ex rjc students there too.. i knew them before hand actually and vice versa through the case competition.. i totally enjoyed myself chatting with them about school and studies (biz and rj and teachers etc.) while giving out flyers.. inspirational again i guess.. and of course in the meantime i was searching around for my teachers as well..

I saw Mrs Lim first.. she actually thought i was a current graduate back to collect my results.. haha.. coz prob she found me familiar but couldn't really recall which year i was in.. but i think being able to recognise me was commendable enough.. then i met Ms Lui :) it was great chatting with her and then Mrs Lim came to join in the conversation.. after figuring out when i graudated we then i started talking abt math based economics in university.. very apt topic for them both indeed..

I realised that Mr Chan was not directly involved with this batch of students, so I contacted him and happily realised he was in the staff room.. after most of the excitement in the hall was almost over, we left for the staff room.. and on the way i dramatically met Ms Yeo. I was in the lift while she was about to enter, and when she saw me she was so shocked she juz stood there for a minute and only responded when the lift door was about to close.. it was hilarious.. and she too thought that i was a new graduate back to collect results.. though she did figure out rather quickly i was from 6f..

It was really glad to see Mr Chan after a year.. same old Mr Chan concerned about my life and all.. i was quite surprised that he kept the pamphlet featuring me and i was really touched.. while he continued on about me better not forgetting him when i'm rich and famous.. talking about life and decisions in life was good and i was glad that i could be honest with him abt my life which i know he understands.. this time it was different perhaps because i see him less like a tutor but more like a friend.. i did talk a lot more crap about when he's getting married and all while he wanted me to update him abt my love life.. haha.. and talking about his 'drama' while trying to act angry and upset with us about not doing well for the chem paper.. (now we know it's all an act!)

back to the old school felt like home.. and i knew i had the rafflesian spirit in me as it would always be.. and i was glad to realise that many others actually understand the culture difference between rj and biz.. a feeling i never could put in words to explain properly.. it can only be felt by those who personally experience it..